Communications Kit: Space Crisis
When space crises strike, we need the community’s support and action to help us save lives. Whatever the inciting cause, the domino effect of space crisis situations means we need to get more pets into homes (foster or adoptive) faster, keep more pets with their families (and therefore out of the shelter), and simultaneously keep animals in our care safe and healthy. The stakes are often literally life and death. But using the same code red messaging too often can lead to your community tuning out just when you need them the most.
This kit is intended to help animal organizations talk to the public about space crises in ways that will motivate people to take action. We’ve included a variety of sample social media posts, infographics, talking points, and media pitches that offer different ways of talking about being at crisis capacity, so as not to lose the power of this urgent message.
- Learn About It: Why is it important to diversify messaging around space crises?
- Talk About It: Customize your messages and graphics about your space crisis, and utilize different calls to action to engage help.
- Media Pitch Templates
- 100% Editable Graphics
- Talking Points (plus bonus storytelling ideas to diversify your narrative)
- Dive Deeper: Everything you need to take your communications to the next level!
- Real-world examples from other shelters!
- Frequently Asked Questions you can customize for the public
- Webinars, blogs, and resources for learning more!
This toolkit was created through a collaboration between Human Animal Support Services (HASS) project and HeARTs Speak for organizations of every size and budget!
The graphic templates in the toolkit use Canva, a design platform that allows users to create social media graphics, presentations, posters, and other visual content. Most excitingly, it can be used for free or with a paid account (free for nonprofits!). Download this Quick-Read Instructional Guide to get started.