HeARTs Speak was founded with the passion to change and better the lives of animals through creativity and collaboration. This passion is shared by aspiring and professional artists, animal shelter and rescue employees, volunteers, and engaged citizens.
We live by the tenet of respectful collaboration among our members and the many people they touch in carrying out a collective mission. We encourage and support the endeavors of our members and the unique ways in which they serve their local communities. HeARTs Speak is dedicated to helping our members grow, succeed and showcase their talents, while helping animals in need.
Members of HeARTs Speak, pledge to abide by the following:
- To communicate truthfully and with integrity, both within and outside the organization.
- To not discriminate against or refuse professional help to anyone on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or national origin.
- To cultivate an attitude of humility in our work, as we are dedicating our work to something greater than ourselves.
- To support and respect fellow HeARTs Speak members, on a personal and professional level.
- To neither malign nor disrespect colleagues (within or without the HeARTs Speak organization), act professionally and cordially when representing HeARTs Speak.
- To not let personal opinions interfere with big-picture goals and to engage in respectful discussion while seeking solutions.
- To never plagiarize another person’s website, photographs, written words, logo designs, artistic mediums or other intellectual property.
Respect the integrity of the animals they work with:
- To treat animals with the utmost respect, patience, and kindness. Ensuring the comfort, safety and well-being of animals takes precedence over any photograph or artistic project.
- To be accurate and comprehensive in the representation of published or posted work.
Serve as ambassadors for animal adoption:
- To not engage in the breeding and selling of domestic animals.*
- To promote adoption and rescue, responsible pet ownership and pet-owner education in a non-judgmental and inclusive manner.
- To challenge the status quo without becoming a polarizing voice in the no-kill animal movement.
Work responsibly and respectfully with animal rescues and shelters:
- To respect the decisions and requirements of animal control, shelter and rescue facilities when contributing services.
- To abide by all written contracts and/or verbal agreements entered into with a shelter and/or rescue.
- To respond to requests from shelters/rescues promptly.
HeARTs Speak reserves the right to revoke the membership of anyone who does not abide by this Code of Ethics.
HeARTs Speak is grounded in merging the power of art and passion for animals. Animal shelters across the country have made tremendous strides in increasing life-saving and quality of care for their animals, and the field continues to evolve towards extending compassionate service provision to the people and communities that they serve. In support of those efforts, HeARTs Speak and its members are committed to upholding and advocating for critical tenets of animal welfare such as spay/neuter, responsible pet ownership, non-discriminatory/breed-neutral policies, owner support services, and adoption.
Artist Members may choose to work with any client at their discretion.